UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I recieved fixed penalty speeding ticket today 9/06/10 (they…

Customer Question
I recieved fixed penalty speeding...
I recieved fixed penalty speeding ticket today 9/06/10 (they said they have already sent one notification, which I have not got)the date of the alledged offence is 25/04/10.
Is there a 14 day limit on the ticket, and i don,t belive that I was speeding'
The cameras along that strech of road point forard but the calibration road markings are behind the cameras, they are telling me that there are three white lines on the road which the speed reading was taken, isn't that misleading people in to beleving that the speed cameras are not operational by having them facing away from the markings ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/9/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What did the ticket say exactly?
It is a Notice of intention to prosecute.
I should add that the previous owner of the car failed to send the logbook off and he told the police my address when he recieved the notice, still havn't got the log book and have now scraped the car.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question?

If you are asking about the 14 day rule then all that requires is that they send out the first NIP on a day when it would be ordinary post reach you within 14 days. When you got the reminder is a non issue.

I don't really understand what you are asking about speed cameras?

ok, I never recieved the first notifcation, does the 14 rule apply to me, is it worth while me contesting this ticket/notice.
The camera points toward oncoming traffic there are the three lines on the road that mark the point where the camers takes the photo, but past the camera on the road are the usual calibration markings which are in good order and not left over from a previous old speed camera, so they put them there for a reason, but as i said the camera points away from these markings towards oncoming traffic, the camera is situated at the bottom of a small hill, as you come over the top of the hill you would see the camera but if you increased speed as you might when going down hill even with you foot off the accelerator you wouldn't be able to slow your speed in time because the camera gets you before the calibartion markings that you would expect the camera to use.
And my point is i do not believe that i was speeding, the ticket has taken over one month to reach me, am i liable for the ticket, do I have to pay regardless.

No. They only have to show they sent it within 14 days. They don't have to show you received it. You can make a stat dec on that basis but there's no point here because you got the reminder.

All that about cameras is a bit of a myth. There is no obligation to signpost a camera at all. They are perfectly entitled to hide a GATSO camera behind overgrown trees and catch motorists by stealth if they want to.

What they cannot do is hide the signing of the speed limit in any way. There has been quite damaging case law on that point anyway in the case of Peake recently but thats not the point you seem to be raising anyway.

If you don't believe you were speeding then you will have to take the matter to court as thats a simple factual challenge. But the points will fail.