UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

my lawyer is more interested in the other partys interest…

Customer Question
my lawyer is more interested...
my lawyer is more interested in the other party's interest than us, her own client

tenants had not paid rent for 3 months (totalling close to £1400) and she is insisting we settle as tenants are offering a mere £500, plus the rest to be taken from deposit money (which she herself advised earlier on that that money is a separate issue)

We are due in court next Tuesday and had paid her for a barrister's representation
Now she is keeping that money as she reckoned she had spent more time than anticipated.

Please advise
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/9/2010
Solicitor: INC, Solicitor-Advocate replied 8 years ago
INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate

If you have an issue regarding the service provided to you by your solicitor, the first thing you need to do is raise a complaint with the firm itself. If they do not deal with the complaint adequately, you will have to refer the matter to the Legal Ombudsman for consideration.

I hope this helps. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

This is not my concern

I know and am aware that if I am not satisfied with the lawyer's service I can take the matter up with the firm or ombusman

My concerns are:

can she keep money allocated for representation?

what would happen on Tuesday, to date we had paid close to £1000

If the lawyer is owed fees, I am afraid tthay she can use the money on account to pay her outstanding fees.

With regard to the upcoming hearing, if neither you or your legal representative attends, judgement may be made against you. Thus, it would be down to you to ensure that your lawyer is put in sufficient funds to arrange representation at the hearing.

Kind regards,

Relist: Answer quality.
not asnwering question

I do not owe the lawyer any fee!

I had paid my fee in advance and that fee is for legal representation

she had not mention her extra work nor ask extra fee before

this is a suprise

I would suggest you ask for a complete breakdown of fees. Once you have received this, you will be in a netter position to scrutinise the work carried out on your behalf.

with due respect your answers are kind of condecending

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, I had wasted my time and money

I do apolgise as that is not my intention.

I am trying to establish what has been done in order to ascertain what steps to take next.

Fromthe limited information yu have provided above and without seeing any documents, it is difficult to say whether the work carried out and fees charged are reasonable or adequate.

The only way you will be able to decipher whether you have been overcharged is to obtain a complete breakdown of fees. Once you have obtained this, you will then be able to confront the fee earner in relation to charges.

At present, it seems that there is insufficent funds on account for counsel to attend your hearing. If this is the case, the priority would be to ensure you have adequalte legal representation at the hearing.

Regards,