How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an Eglishman and I want to marry my Tunisian girlfriend).

Resolved Question:

I am an Eglishman and I want to marry my Tunisian girlfriend). Will she automatically be given a visa to come to the UK after we are married after we are married in Tunisia?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Can you confirm if your fiance is presently in Tunisia?


When and where do you plan to get married? If this has yet been arranged...


Kind regards,




Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes my girlfriend is currently in Tunisia and we plan to marry in Tunisia as soon as possible
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



If you are to marry in Tunisia then once you are wed your wife will have to apply from Tunisia to the British Embassy in Tunisia for a Spouses visa so that she can come to this country and remain her as your wife.


You will have to show:-
1. That you are legally married to each other (ie. by producing your marriage certificate)
2. You are present and settled in the UK (ie. passport, record of address, payslips etc.)
3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements from you both and others)
4. You have met each other before (Statements as above)
5. You can support each other without the need for public funds (ie. bank statements, savings records)
6. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (mortgage agreement, registered title evidence for property, tenancy agreement
7. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age (Birth certificates)

There is no automatic right to a spouses visa but provided the above is proved then she should have no problem in receiving one following her application.


You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using for VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's Visa website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before sending it to you so that you can submit it formally to the British embassy.


I wish you all the best with the wedding.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you