How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there! My boss does not want to pay me. He owes me 3070.

Customer Question

Hi there! My boss does not want to pay me. He owes me £3070. He gave me 3 ceques,but i got them back from bank unpaid.What should i do. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Are you actually still employed by the employer?


If you are not:-


You need to be aware of the time limits. If you wish to recover them by an application to an employment tribunal then you must issue a claim there within three months from the date the money was first unpaid. If you are already over this time limit then you will have to issue a claim at the County Court for the money, if the amount owed is less than £5, 000.00 you can issue a claim for it yourself via It's fairly straight forward and easy to use.


In the first instance I would try and get an informal/pleasant acknowledgement from him that he owes you the money. Perhaps an informal "Hi, the cheques you gave me for the money that bounced? Can you send me another one for the amount outstanding please. Thanks". Any affrimative response from him will constitute an acknowledgement of the debt.


Then write a formal letter to him and send it by registered post. Outline the money owed and state that you require payment within 7 days of the date of this letter failing which you will issue a claim for the money either at County Court/Employment tribunal.


If he does not pay the money then you will have to issue a claim. It would be helpful, but not crucial, to have a copy of your employment contract (if any) and you will need to explain in a witness statement how the situation arose and to which period of paid work it related.


Again, please specify if you are still employed by the employed.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Tom. I just want to say that i am not working anymore for him, because i left. I left because i had to find another job. I was spending more money, then i was getting from him. In the last few month he was paying me sometimes £400 sometimes £300 a month.
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your kind accept.


That's fine, proceed as specified above. Note the time limit for an application to an employment tribunal.


Kind regards,