How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I took over a 21 year lease on a pub in February 2001; there

Resolved Question:

I took over a 21 year lease on a pub in February 2001; there was 18 years and one month left on the tenancy.
Since then the pub was sold on to another pub chain.
Should I have been issued with an amended lease in the name of the take-over company?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


No, an amended lease is not issued if there is a change in the landlord.


Consult the lease, it may state that the landlord should give you formal notice of any change of landlord, and really as a matter of good practice you would expect them to regardless of whether they are actually obligated to under the lease. If they have not then it's not really a breach that entitles you to any particular amount of damages, but it does obviously provide you with a defence in the event that rent is inadvertently paid to the old landlord and the current landlord seeks to enforce their apparent rent arrears against you.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I any be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,





Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you