How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to get married - I am a woman with a child, I own

This answer was rated:

I am about to get married - I am a woman with a child, I own my own property with a very small mortgage (my property was recently valued at £400,000 - my partner lives with us, he does not own a property and has just a small amount of savings. Should I get a prenup just to be on the safe side, what does this involve?
We are very happy and looking forward to married life, I suppose I am just being a little protective.



Thanks for your question.


Pre-nuptial agreements are becoming more and more common these days. It is important that you realise that a pre-nutpial agreement are not the final authority on what should happen in the event that you divorce, but are instead taken to be one of the circumstances of the case to be taken in to account. The Courts have recently attached more weight to pre-nuptial agreements in divorce than in the past.


Given the disparity in your respective assets I would certainly consider executing one and you should both take legal advice on it before doing so, this will help in persuading that you both executed it after taken serious consideration as to its legal effect and avoid any suggestion of undue influence on either party. This will give you the best chance of a Judge seriously taking the agreement in to account in the future.


It would include such matters as what you intend to happen to your assets, contents of the matrimonial home, property owned jointly or separately, joint bank accounts, maintenance payments during separation, specific gifts, costs.


Any local family solicitor will be able to act on your behalf.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you