How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7612
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have damp in my flat after a flood last year, and have still

Resolved Question:

i have damp in my flat after a flood last year, and have still not had work completed
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Could you be a bit more specific please; does the damp relate to a property you are occupying under a tenancy agreement. Please provide details.


Kind regards,




Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am the tennent, had flood through roof, have had redecoration 3 times and work has been terrible, i now have damp patches in lounge and moisture in walls. am not getting any where and dont know what to do
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Right. When does the fixed term of the tenancy agreement expire?


Do you want the damp to be repaired or do you just want out of the tenancy?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just want damp sorted,full redecoration, i payed for full dec 3 months prior to flood its a rolling 6 month one i think
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

In that case I would do two things at the same time:-

  1. If the state of repair (particulaly damp) is very bad then you should contact the local authority environmental health department and ask them to send an officier round. If the state of the property is bad he will issue an enforcement notice against the Landlord to carry out works and this will prompt him in to making the repair. If he does not make the repair keep the enviro department updated and they will take measure to compel him
  2. You should formally write to the the landlord specifying the disrepair, making a list of the reasonable repair required and ask that he make those repairs within a reasonable time (eg. 14 days). State that if the landlord does not make the repair within that time you will pay to have the repairs made and will seek to claim the expense from him and are prepared to make an application to court if necessary.

    If the landlord does not make the repair you can pay to have it done and then write formally to him requesting the payment of the cost, again within a reasonable time). If he does not pay you can issue a claim for the money yourself through Her Majesty Courts Service's online service:

    Its pretty cheap and straightforward to use. You do not actually have to make an applicaiton if you do not want to - you can use it as a bluff.

It is difficult to say whether you would be able to claim for simple decoaration, the landlord is under an obligation to provide you with a property in repair and if you simply do not like the decoration but it is otherwise reasonable then you will not be able to claim for this. It's obviously quite difficult to tell without seeing the state of decoration.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you