How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SYK Your Own Question
SYK, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 203
Experience:  LL.B Honours Law, PgDip in Legal Practice, Solicitor 4.5 years PQE
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
SYK is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a male british citizen with a british passport and want

Resolved Question:

i am a male british citizen with a british passport and want to marry my russian girlfriend who lives in spain. she is a russian citizen with a russian passport. she has lived and worked in spain for 10 years. she has official papers from the official spanish authorities to live and work there for 5 more years. what is the proceedure please and what do we need to do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  SYK replied 7 years ago.

Where do you want to marry and where do you want to live afterwards?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
marry in either england or spain whichever is easiest and best. she will stay living in spain for the time being and i will travel between both for the time being
Expert:  SYK replied 7 years ago.

If you want to marry in England, she can apply for a fiance visa, which will entitle her to a 6 month visa and for her to marry you. If she wants to return to spain she can do so after this, you can also apply for a spouse visa, which will allow her limited leave to remain for 2 years, then Indefinate Leave to Remain thereafter and then naturilsation. This will not stop you from traveling back and forth to Spain.


Hope this helps. Please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT Button.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will marriage to me also entitle her to a british passport? if so how does she get dual nationality russian and british?
Expert:  SYK replied 7 years ago.

Yes if she marries you and you apply for her to remain in the UK as a spouse, once she is granted ILR, she can then apply for naturalisation which will mean a British passport. Uk will allow her to have dual nationality. You will need to check with a Russian Lawyer whether Russia will allow her dual nationality.


Hope the above clarifies matters.


KIndly click the GREEN ACCEPT Button.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok so we get a fiance visa and get married within 6 months. We then apply to get her a spouse visa, how long until she gets a British passport after we are married and when and how do we apply for this? After granting of spouse visa?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
After getting the spouse visa after getting married on the fiance visa, how long is it to get her a British passport? Also how much will it cost for the fiance and spouse visas and how do we get them?
Expert:  SYK replied 7 years ago.

Hello there,


Apologies for the late response, I have been away. Once your partner has a spouse visa, she will be given limited leave to remain for 2 years after which she will need to apply for Indefinate leave to remain, after she has indefinate leave to remain she can apply for a settlement which will lead to a British Passport once she has been in the UK for a total of 5 years.


You will need to make these applications for the fiance visa and spouse visa to UKBA.


Hope the above answers your question, please remember to click ACCEPT.

SYK and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you