How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SYK Your Own Question
SYK, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 203
Experience:  LL.B Honours Law, PgDip in Legal Practice, Solicitor 4.5 years PQE
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
SYK is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a british citizen since birth & married to a ukrainian

This answer was rated:

i am a british citizen since birth & married to a ukrainian woman. who at present has spent 3 years in the uk & is now eligible to apply for citizenship. can her son also ukrainian, d.o.b 8.8.93 aged 16 now apply for citizenship alongside his mum.?
he entered the uk on 19.10.2009 with ILR entitlement. his mum has sole custody of him because his father is an alcoholic. the son has been given a job opportunity to start in the next few days & so his future lie's here in the uk with his mum.
please could you advise.
many thanks
gary & hanna.

Hello Gary and Hannah,


You will be pleased to know if the child has been granted Indefinate leave to remain, he is entitled to apply for citizenship after 12 months of having his ILR issued to him, so in the boy's case after 19.10.10 .


Hope the above helps. Kindly remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT Button.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thanks so much for your clear reply. yes the boy has indefinite leave to enter the uk. visa settlement to join parent h.dowse.

so when we apply in october on his behalf, as he will still be under 18 years we must apply on form mn1 & pay the required fee.?

so he will not recieve citizenship under " grandfather rights " as his mother will have it?.

kind regards.

The form you will need is form AN and you will be required to pay the fee, what ever this may be at the time. If your wife was initially granted a visa due to her ancestral rights, her son will be benefiting from this too.


Hope the above answers your question.


Please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT Button.



SYK and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you