How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask QC Your Own Question
QC, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  8 yrs pqe, TEP, CPD Trainer in Inheritance Tax Planning
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
QC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner has passed away we lived together for 3 years. The

Resolved Question:

My partner has passed away we lived together for 3 years. The property we owned was in joint names as was the level term assurance policy to cover us for death . My partner was in the process of a divorce but this has not been finalised so therefore his wife as gone down as next of kin on his death certificate. We have a 15 month old baby so I am also on the death certificate as her parent. Were do I stand as regards XXXXX XXXXX term assurance policy is his wife entitled to any of this.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  QC replied 7 years ago.

Dear JA Customer


I am sorry to hear about your partner's death.


As regards XXXXX XXXXX it is very likely that you are the only person entitled to te term assurance policy proceeds, (and the property). However, your partner's wife may have been making a financial claim on divorce, and can therefore make a similar claim on death under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1974. I would not worry about this just yet as you are the sole beneficiary until and unless a claim is made. If a claim is made, you will need to take formal legal advice.




QC and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you