How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 48170
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my employer force me to change my job title for lesser

Resolved Question:

Can my employer force me to change my job title for lesser (from manager to supervisor). No change in my job itself, duties and responsopilityes stay tha same.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 years ago.



how long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
with this title since july 09 but in company 3years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 years ago.

OK, thanks. Changing your job title is in the strictest sense change of contractual terms, which would require your approval first. Usually if your employer makes any changes to your contract without your approval then this may amount to breach of contract and you could claim constructive dismissal. However, in your case all that has changed is the title - your duties are the same, everything is the same, but the job title. This is unlikely to be seen as a fundamental breach of contract to warrant constructive dismissal. If your duties had changed, then yes, but not if it was just your job title I'm afraid. You can of course talk to your employer to voice your concerns about the change and if necessary raise a grievance but that's as far as it goes unfortunately. Your only other option is that if the change created such hardship for you that you completely lost the respect of your co-workers because of it, then you may be able to go down the breach of contract route, but you would have to show that it has really affected your position within the company to such an extent that you could no longer carry on working there.


I hope this helps. Please press the ACCEPT button. You will be able to ask any follow-up questions. Thank you.


Ben Jones and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you