How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am letting someone graze their horses in my field. Is there

This answer was rated:

I am letting someone graze their horses in my field. Is there anything in the law stating they could they ownership after a certain period of time?

Hi Customer


Thanks for your question.


In order to claim ownership by adverse possession of land a person must demonstrate over ten years continuous use of the land and in any event you would have the right to object. If your land is registered you would also receive notice of the applicaiton for adverse possession.


If this has been usefull please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will b gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards.




Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It has been suggested that a peppercorn rent would give added security. Is this correct?
If so, would I need to have the agreement drawn up by a professional?

Customerbr />

Yes, it would be sensible.


You should give instructions to a local property solicitor to draft up a grazing licence stating specifically the terms of the grazing.

Fairly straight forward it should not cost you more than £150+VAT to have one done.


Kind regards