How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7613
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello i rented my house out through a reputable estate

Resolved Question:

hello i rented my house out through a reputable estate agent when the tennents
vacated the property it was left in a very poor condition since i paid the estate agent
a monthly sum to oversee the property and carry out inspections is my grievence with the tennents or the estate agents mr w barnes
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.


Thanks for your question.


Your concern should be dealt with through the agent, that is what you are paying them for. If the property was in a poor condition upon the previous tenants vacating then the agents would have an checking-out inspection and should have arranged the appropriate cleaning works so that it was in a tenantable condition for the next tenant. The cost of these works would then have been deducted from the tenant's deposit.


You should consult with the agents on the matter, ask about the return of the deposit to the tenant and whether any appropriate deductions were made in respect of remedying the state of the property, if no such deductions were made then you should question why. Write again to them and you may consider using an emboldened "COMPLAINT" at the top of the letter and setting time limit of 7 days for them to respond.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Edited by Thomas on 3/15/2010 at 2:38 PM EST
Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you