How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7613
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi there my partner split up with his partner a year ago .

This answer was rated:

hi there my partner split up with his partner a year ago . they jointly owned their property and she has wanted to buy out his half. he has been living with me for 10 months and said if he died he wanted me to have all of his estate . in order for this to happen he changed from joint tennants to tennants in common.and made a will. now that the land registry document has come back it says this on it...... title absolute paragraph 2 disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corperation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the court........and in the letter attached from the solicitor it saysnow that you and your partner own the property as tic neither of you could dispose of the property on your own,even in the event of the death of the other.....please could you explain what this means as my partner is upset that this might mean that i am not entittled to anything..thankyou



This means that your partner and his ex-partner now hold their shares as tenants in common. It does not sounds as if the solicitor explained is clearly to you in his letter.


This means that the land registry will not register a transfer with only one person signing the transfer form, if held the interests were held as joint tenants and your partner died then the ex-partner could sell the property simply by signing the transfer form and producing a death certificate to the land registry.


The ex-partner could not do this now because the transfer would have to be signed by the executor of your partner's estate, it provides some protection against sale and essentially means the shares are independent held.


Your partner's share will now pass under the terms of his will (ie. to you) in the event of his death.


I hope this helps if so please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you