How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 47354
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do I change name on property title deed and how much would

Resolved Question:

how do I change name on property title deed and how much would this cost
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 years ago.



what is the reason for the change?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1. Change from maiden name to married name

2. add husbands name

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 years ago.

1. To change your name you would have to send a letter to your local Land Registry office and inform them of the fact you are now married and wish to change the name on the title. You will also need to enclose your original marriage certificate.


2. To add your husband's name to the property title you need to transfer the share of the property from your own name to both of your names. This is called a 'transfer of equity' and can be a gift with no money changing hands. However, if the spouse is paying below market value for the share in the property then this can be regarded as a 'transfer at undervalue' or a gift. You are advised to seek the advice of a residential property lawyer as you will also need to decide how you will each hold your share. Most High Street solicitors would be able to do assist you.


I hope this helps. Kindly press the Accept button if you found my advice useful. You will still be able to ask follow-up questions. Thank you.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the answer to queston 1- i'm clear


However, I may not of give enough detail for the other question.


My husband and I purchased the house 18 months ago. At the time the mortgage company would only put the house in my name. We rushed and went along. Time's passed thought we'd sort it out. Mortgage company happy to put husbands name on now but asking for conveyancing to be done by solicitors. Solicitors say they believe mortgage company normally do this at nominal charge - their charges are significantly more.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 years ago.
Have you obtained quotes from solicitors and the mortgage company?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, the solicitors have said approx. £400.00

The mortgage company haven't said anything yet.


Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 years ago.

This is a pretty straightforward task so if you shop around you may find it cheaper. High street solicitors could easily do it for around £250. It may be worth waiting to hear back from the mortgage company but if you have their consent then you don't need them to do it.

Ben Jones and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you