How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DR Lawyer Your Own Question
DR Lawyer
DR Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 2319
Experience:  BA (Hons) Pgdl Pgdlp (LPC)
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
DR Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does the landlord have to insulate the loft of a rented property

Resolved Question:

I'm currently living in a flat which I have done for the past 4years. The loft is not insulated which is currently affecting me with large utility bills. The question I have is: Does the landlord have to insulate the loft of a rented property which currently has no insulation what so ever? I read something on the internet that landlords are oblige to do so under the Housing Act and since 2005.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  DR Lawyer replied 7 years ago.

Under recent legislation all a landlord is obliged to do is provide an Energy Performance Certificate when marketing a property to let. This is included in the Home Information Pack that sellers have to have when they are selling a property.


The EPC will of course reveal if a house has poor engery performance which is going to result in large electricity bills and lack of loft insulation will contribute towards then.


The landlord is not, however, obliged to provide loft insulation.


DR Lawyer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. Just so I totally understand...although I have lived in this flat since 2005 and I have never requested an energy performance certificate I can ask him to provide me with one now? What happens if he can't provide me with one or if he does have one are there any obvious indications on the certificate to tell me if it is a poor performance and what can I do if so? Hope this makes sense.
Expert:  DR Lawyer replied 7 years ago.
He is not obliged to provide you with an EPC but if he got a new tenant in he would need an EPC in order to Market the property for sale.

DR Lawyer and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you