How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legal eagle 73 Your Own Question
legal eagle 73
legal eagle 73, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 466
Experience:  10 year qualifified solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
legal eagle 73 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to sign a power of attorney. It is in relation to a

Resolved Question:

I need to sign a power of attorney. It is in relation to a company sale/disposal of shares giving a director the power to sign documents on my behalf. I need to have my signature witnessed and return it urgently.

Can my father (who has a different surname and address from me) witness my signature or must it be a non-relative?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  legal eagle 73 replied 7 years ago.

hi there


it is always good practice to have an independent person (ie one who is not related to you) witnessing a Deed. Otherwise, if the validity of the Deed is challenged in Court, then the document will have a weakness if it was witnessed by a relative


To answer your Q, if it is unlikely that the Power of Attorney will be challenged in the future, then it is acceptable for your father to witness your signature


please click on the green accept button so that i can be credited for the advice i have given you



legal eagle 73 and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you