How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and her partner bought a house together using a

Resolved Question:

My daughter and her partner bought a house together using a 100% joint mortgage in 2007. A year ago they ended their relationship but stayed in the house together, paying the mortgage, to avoid incurring a significant loss at resale. My daughter now wishes to move on and re-start her life but her partner is refusing to agree to sell the house. He is also unable to take on a mortgage alone to cover the price of the house because his salary is insufficient. What steps can we take to progress this issue?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thank you for your question.


In the first instance your daughter should check to make sure that she and her ex-partner hold their respective interests as tenants-in-common. Were they to hold their interests as joint tenants and your daughter passed away then her interest in the property would automatically pass to her ex-partner irrespective of any Will she has (or the intestacy rules).


If held as joint tenants you should sever the joint tenancy by Form SEV immediately (downloadable from the Land Registry website). If you have any questions you should call the LR; they are very helpful.


If he cannot get a mortgage to finance a transfer of equity and remortgage then you are left in a stalemate.


They should try as hard as possible to come to an agreement to sell the property and the proportion of any proceeds of sale realised, this will avoid unnecessary expense and you should impress this logic upon your daughter's ex-partner in the hope that he will be come around.


If they cannot agree then your daughter will have to apply to Court for a order for sale. The split will be a notional 50/50 but parties can make representations to depart from this given their particular circumstances. It will likely take 2-3 months and you should speak to a local solicitor about acting on your daughter's behalf. These application are seldom refused.


A difficult but unfortunately common situation, I sympathise.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask followup questions.


Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you