How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

does a wife who with her recently deceased husband jointly

Resolved Question:

does a wife who with her recently deceased husband jointly own their house and the husband has willed all his possession to her,require Probate regarding a, the house and b, enable her to access the husbands savings held in his name only, from his bank or national savings
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Hello Kirkwood,


Thank you for your question.


Do you know if you held your interests in your house as joint tenants or tenants in common? If held as joint tenants then his interest will automatically pass to you upon the husband's death. You will need to change the title at the land registry and can do this using form TR1 downloadable from their website. You can call them about completing the form, they are very helpful. You will need to attach a certified copy death certificate when you apply and a fee will be payable (you can find the fee from the LR staff.


If your interests are held as tenants in common then you will need to obtain a grant of probate to transfer his share to you. Likewise you will need a grant of probate to realise those assets referred to in b) and you should contact local solicitors and see who gives you the best quote.


I hope this helps if so please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,





Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what about the second half of my question relating to savings
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Sorry, by "......those assets referred to in b)...." I was also referring to his savings. You will also require a grant of probate in respect of these.



Kind regards,