How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legal eagle 73 Your Own Question
legal eagle 73
legal eagle 73, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 466
Experience:  10 year qualifified solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
legal eagle 73 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

myself and wife own a house with another couple which has been

Resolved Question:

myself and wife own a house with another couple which has been empty since day one. the house was on the market but was being valued less than what we owe.the other couple refuse to rent it and the now sits empty what are our legal rights..can we rent it without there permission or force a sale.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  legal eagle 73 replied 7 years ago.

hi there


you can make an application to the Court to force a sale of the property if they will not agree to sell it. what was your joint purpose in buying the house with the other couple? ie was it bought with the intention that it should be let out?


you can authorise other people to live in the property but the other couple can request half of the rent. if you have fallen out with the other couple, your best option may be to sell it.



legal eagle 73 and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is on a buy to let morgage...the house was up for sale for over 12months with no the other couple need to agree to rent ie signitures etc...regards XXXXX XXXXX it would be done through accountant and bank account.we personally are owed money from house insurance we've paid which they have'nt contributed can this be taken from rent obtained when let..