How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legal eagle 73 Your Own Question
legal eagle 73
legal eagle 73, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 466
Experience:  10 year qualifified solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
legal eagle 73 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother in law has had a stroke and she has been in hospital

Resolved Question:

My mother in law has had a stroke and she has been in hospital since October - my sister in law has had her admitted to a home and has told her that she is there for convalesence
My mother in law lives in a rented house and has been there for 50 years and was determined that they would have to carry her out in a box. She is mentally sane and is very distressed that she can not go back home. I have now been informed that my sister in law has paid a month's rent in advance on the house and they are going to get rid of all her furniture without her knowing - Can they just take over this lady's life. Can they sign the house back to the owner without her knowing?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  legal eagle 73 replied 7 years ago.

hi there


is your mother in law mentally capable and has she made a power of attorney appointing your sister in law as her attorney?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes and no has not appointed sister in law as her and power to attorney





Expert:  legal eagle 73 replied 7 years ago.

hi there


the sister in law cannot override your mother in law's wishes. Somebody should contact the landlord and inform them that your mother in law intends to return to the house, health permitting.


the sister in law is acting illegally in removing items from the house if your mother in law has not instructed her to do this. She can contact the police


Also your mother in law should make a power of attorney appointing somebody she trusts to deal with her financial affairs and/or decisions relating to her health and welfare (if she couldn;t make those decisions herself). it takes about 3 months or more to set up these powers of attorney


please click on the green accept button so that i can be credited for the advice i have given you



legal eagle 73 and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you