How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a landlord and rent out my flat to friends. I am going

Resolved Question:

I am a landlord and rent out my flat to friends. I am going to be out of the country for several months, during which time one set of friends will move out and another will move in. I wanted to ask if it is possible for someone to sign the shorthold tenancy agreement on my behalf in my absence, and if so, what procedure I would need to go through to arrange this.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thank you for your question.


If you wish for another person to act on your behalf while you are away you will have to give that person authority to do so by creating an ordinary power of attorney. It can be limited to a specific purpose and for a specific time.


A local solicitor will be able to arrange this for you relatively cheaply. Make sure you have all the relevant details - you should be very careful not to grant the attorney wider powers than you intended.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow-up questions.


Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you