How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello there, I wonder if you can help. 8 years ago I bought

Resolved Question:

Hello there, I wonder if you can help. 8 years ago I bought a property fully in my name but o behalf of my brother who at the time could not buy property in his name (I can't remember the reaso why). He has been and is reponsible for paying for the mortgage and all house related costs.
I would now like to transfer the house over to him - as it is his anyway and I no longer want the property in my name. I would like to do this without going through a sale as the value of the house is not where it should be at the moment and any sale would leave me in debt (I remortgaged the house two years ago and a recent valuation revealed the value to be exactly the same as the mortgage owed).
How can I do this? Can I transfer the deeds of the house over to him? What is the process?

Any help or pointing in the right direction would do.

Thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thank you for your question.


If you have a mortgage on your property then it will be registered against the legal title of your property at the Land Registry as a charge. This will prevent you from transferring the property without the consent of your mortgage company.


If your brother can now demonstrate sufficient income to the mortgage company to receive a mortgage offer from them then he could buy you out of the the property so that you the property is transferred over to him and you are released from the mortgage upon transfer. You would have to speak to a conveyancer about this, almost all local solicitor's practices will be able to help you.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you