UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Got a Parking Charge Notice at Morrisons carpark in Camden,

Customer Question
London, is what your site...
Got a Parking Charge Notice at Morrisons carpark in Camden, London, is what your site says to ignore this, still the case? Thanks, Mary
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
1/16/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 7 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Have you admitted being the driver yet?

No I have done nothing, and I might not even have been the driver as I usually go there with the other allocated driver.

OK. Who is the issuer of the fine?

Parking Eye

Good. This is a private land fine. They are unenforceable. This is not a parking fine however it may look. These companies are private firms that have no more right to punish you for the manner of your parking than your neighbour does. Only the police or the local council can do that. These are issued on the basis that you have accepted a contract by parking there and breached it by staying too long. To make that work they would have to hang signs over almost every bay and anyway, they still cannot show loss. The way to stop them dead is to write back refusing to give them the name of the driver. They have no power to make you as they are not the police. They only have a 'contract' with the driver and not the registered keeper. That will not stop them writing to you but it will put a stop to any real action being taken. They won't know who to sue.

I must stress though that you should not lie and say that you were not the driver. Some people have been doing that. Its not ethical to do that and if this gets to court that would amount to an offence. There's no need to anyway. You can just refuse the details.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Thank you Jomo1972 I will act on that, Kind regards, Mary

No problem.

Good luck with it. Where did you read this elsewhere just out of interest?

Hi Jomo, ParkingEye have now sent me another letter, this time it has photo of car coming into the car park and leaving. I wrote to them saying this after your first bit of advice.....

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you “Recorded Delivery” in regard to the piece of paper you sent me

CCS Reference 484129

I refuse to give you the name of the driver and through Contract Law I trust this matter is now closed.

Yours sincerely,

Mary Rooney

What should I do now? Kind regards, Mary

Oh just ignore them. They do keep writing and some of them even send documents that purport to be notices to owners.

These letters have no legal status. Until you actually get a court summons, they ignore them. The chances of you getting a court summons are about as high as winning the lottery.

Thanks again, will do. Mary

Have you read about this private land stuff elsewhere on the internet?

Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister