How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a tenant in the uk on a standard shorthold tenancy, the

This answer was rated:

i am a tenant in the uk on a standard shorthold tenancy, the landlord has been notified many times that the boiler is not wokring properly and has taken time to respond and arrange for it to be fixed. I understand that the landlord has 14days to make this kind of repair or financial implications are applicable against the landlord.

Can you please help as the landlord is being v awkard and it has been v cold with out proper heating and hot water


Hello James,


Check the tenancy agreement for the clause relating to repair. It will likely say that it is the Landlord shall keep the property in repair. If so you should write to the Landlord formally requesting that he make the specific repair to the boiler within a reasonable time (most people state 14 days). Also state that if he does not complete the works then you will pay to have them done yourself, seek to claim the expense from him and are prepared to make an application at Court for the money if necessary.


If he does not make the repair then you can pay to have the works done yourself and make a claim yourself through


You should not withhold rent from your Landlord, if you do you will be breach of contract and he may become entitled to serve a notice to vacate upon you.


I hope this helps, if so please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow-up questions.


Kind regards,






Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you