UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Is it legal for supermarkets to give you parking fines if…

Customer Question
Is it legal for supermarkets...
Is it legal for supermarkets to give you parking fines if you are parked in their carpark for more than 3 hours? I was given a fine of £70 for parking in the carpark for one day. The letter said that there are signs up in the carpark stating that there would be fines, but I have never seen these signs in the carpark. Also it says that "upon entering the carpark, you agree to the terms and conditions..." but surely you have to sign or verbally agree to terms before anything is legally binding? Do I have to pay this fine?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
12/30/2009
Solicitor: TNV, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
TNV
TNV, Lawyer
Where about in the UK are you?
I am in Aberdeenshire - It was a Tesco carpark that charged me
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

Have you admitted being the driver yet?

Hi, no have not admitted anything. I was driving my partners car

In Scotland they cannot enforce these charges. There is no law allowing them to fine you in this manner. They send out these letters in the hope that some people will pay these charges (and some people do) however if you ignore the demands for payment they usually do not follow through to court action.

Hope this helps.