UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

How long can i legally stay after my visa expires

Customer Question
i want to return to...
i want to return to the uk as a visitor and stay here for another 6 months.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
8/22/2009
Solicitor: INC, Solicitor-Advocate replied 8 years ago
INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate

Thanks for your question.

The short answer to your question is that you are not allowed to remain in the UK after the expiration of your Visa. If you do so, you become an 'overstayer' which means that you are in the UK illegally.

If you have overstayed, and subsequently make an application to the Home Office. it is likely that any such application would be refused.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

if you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,
I want to return to the UK because i wish to acquire a lisence in non destructive testing (for industrial purpose) provided by a company in Meadowhall. this is a short course that takes not more than 6 months. I need the lisence to work back in my country.

I was trying to apply for the post study work visa (because my student visa is about to expire in a month) but fail to meet the requirement according to their point base calculator. I fail in the part where i need to prove that i have at least GBP800 in 3 months of bank statements. i do have the sufficient money but i just gotten it recently. So by the time i have 3 months of bank statement showing the minimum amout of money, my visa will be expired more than a month.

that's the reason why i was thinking of returning here as a visitor and then attend the short course. Can i legally do that? Is it legal?

How long is the duration of the course?
Not more than 6 months. The sooner I acquire the license, the sooner I can go back to Malaysia.

You should not be studying whilst on a Visitors Visa. It would be wise to inform the Home Office of your intentions.

INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
INC
INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate