How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lawsolved Your Own Question
lawsolved, Attorney
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 3244
Experience:  Immigration, Employment and general Commercial law experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
lawsolved is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK in

Customer Question

I have been granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK in April 2009 on compassionate ground and my marriage to a British citizen. I would like to apply for British citizenship. I have been told that I need to have been leaving legally in the UK for 3 years on the day I apply for British citizenship.
I was served with a IS151A notice as an illegal entrant in November 2004. My subsequent appeal to that decision was dismissed by an independant adjudicator in April 2005. In April 2005 I applied for indefinite leave to remain in the UK on compassionate grounds, outside the immigration Rules. I should also mention that I was granted permission to work in June 2004.
My question is: for the purspose of a British citizenship application will I be considered having leaved in the UK illegally for the past 4 years (since April 2005)?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  lawsolved replied 8 years ago.

The 3 years would start from the date you obtained ILR and not the time before as the rules for citizenship are different and it is unlikely that discretion will be applied here to count the time before ILR.

Hope this helps