How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aman Ji Your Own Question
Aman Ji
Aman Ji, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 108
Experience:  LLB Law
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Aman Ji is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wan to sponsor my aunt to visit the UK for a period of one

Customer Question

I wan to sponsor my aunt to visit the UK for a period of one month - how do I do this
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Aman Ji replied 8 years ago.
Good evening

Your aunt can apply in family visitor category if close relative otherwise general visitor. Application form VAF1A.

She must make it clear on the visa application form that she intends to leave UK at end of her stay (1 mth)and in any case before visa expiry. She should not stay beyond what is declared or it could affect future visa applications.

She needs to declare her relationship with you. You need to send sponsorship declaration/letter in support of her application with undertakings as to maintenance and accomodation.

Check entry clearance guidance for visitors at:

Check guidance on maintenance and accomodation requirement:

Part 11 of the visa application form suggests supporting documentation but is not an exhaustive list. Rule of thumb: show as much relevant evidence as possible. Do not give immigration officer a chance to object.

Its important to get it right on this occasion. There are generally limited rights of appeal for general visitors if visa application refused. If you are a niece within family visitor regulations definition then appeal rights can be engaged.

An adverse immigration record must be avoided or any future settlement application could be prejudiced (even though strictly speaking previous refusals are not meant to prejudice future applications). Visa refusals make it difficult to travel abroad especially Western countries.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards


Please click green button to accept answer. Positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Your question shall remain open and you may raise furthe queries if you so wish.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

You mention I need to send sponsorship/declaration letter - how do I word this and do I need a lawyer to sign it off.



Expert:  Aman Ji replied 8 years ago.
<p>Hi there</p><p> </p><p>I have seen a number of documents in practice which have been accepted by British High Commission eg statutory declaration sworn before a solicitor; a simple sponsorship letter; or even an undertaking form available from UKBA at</p><p><a href=""></a></p><p> </p><p>My understanding is that last option above is only required in exceptional circumstances and that failure to give it when requested serves as a ground for refusal.</p><p> </p><p>Wording for declaration/letter is not set in stone. However, generally, they should state your full name; full address and postcode; legal status in UK; present income; level of savings; accomodation owned/rented by you where your relative will stay; undertaking to maintain and accomodate your relative; state that relative will not claim public funds; take it upon yourself to ensure that relative is repatriated before visa expiry; and that should relative die in UK then her burial/cremation costs will be borne by you.</p><p> </p><p>If you go to a local solicitor's office dealing with immigration law, they will probably have a pro forma statutory declaration including these matters which you can simply fill out and swear before a solicitor/commissioner of oaths/notary public/barrister.</p><p> </p><p>Please ensure to follow guidance in links posted in earlier answer. You should provide evidence of your legal status (eg copy of your passport); proof of income (eg 6mths payslips); proof of savings (6mths bank/savings statements); and proof of ownership/rental of property where relative will stay (eg if own property then office copies (title deeds) or latest annual mortgage statement; if rented then latest tenancy agreement and letter from landlord stating that property can accomodate relative with overcrowding under Part X Housing Act 1985 and that landlord consents to such occupation by relative during her stay).</p><p> </p><p>Additionally, it may be a good idea to obtain an accomodation certificate from someone specialising in relevant certification under Part X eg estate agents, letting agents and council housing official (I have even seen that some councillors can provide it if qualified to do so). The certificate will basically highlight if there is enough space in the property to accomodate your aunt. This will depend on habitable space (eg bedrooms) and people already occupying the property.</p><p> </p><p>Hope that helps. The choice is yours. I have now answered 2 questions and should be credited for 2 answers.<br /><br />Kind regards<br /><br />Amanji<br /><br />Please click green button to accept answer. Positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Your question shall remain open and you may raise further queries if you so wish.</p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you but this is the same answer as before - what I want to know is how to word the sponsorship letter.
Expert:  Aman Ji replied 8 years ago.
With respect, my 2nd post is not the same as my 1st. It is disappointing that you do not seem to have appreciated the information that I have provided and have not credited me for it to date.

I have informed you of the usual contents in a sponsorship declaration/letter. An immigration law solicitor may have a pro forma sponsorship declaration which you could use if you wish. There is no 'set' wording.

The wording that I would suggest for a sponsorship letter (you do not need a solicitor to sign this off):


I           OF                          

1.My Occupation is                     and my average earning[s] are £                      per week/month/year and I hold £           (sole/joint account) with           Bank/Building Society at                                    

2.My husband/wife is employed as a        and earns £            per week/month/annum and has £        in savings.

3.I can provide adequate accommodation for the persons being sponsored at
which is a property that I own/rent

4.I am a citizen of the                         
Passport Number is                      issued on

5.I undertake to provide adequate accommodation and financial support to the person I am sponsoring without recourse to any public funds.

6.I sponsor the following person whose name address relationship and purpose are:

RELATIONSHIP TO ME               
7.I further undertake to bear all costs of passage of the above named person to the United Kingdom in Sterling and maintain him/her/them during his/her/their stay in the United Kingdom and to repatriate him/her/them to                                 at my cost if and when necessary. In the event of his/her/them dying in this country, I undertake to bear all costs and expenses of his/her/their burial/ cremation AND I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835.

Yours faithfully

I trust that you now feel that your question has been answered. I have provided good and useful information.

Kind regards


Please click green button to accept answer. Positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Your question shall remain open and you may raise further queries if you so wish.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Please tell me the wording of the sponsorship letter before I accept the reply