UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I have a friend with Aspergers Syndrome he has been

Customer Question
‘suspended' and blacklisted by gaydar...
I have a friend with Aspergers Syndrome he has been ‘suspended' and blacklisted by gaydar, for what I believe is an illegal suspension, if not that it is very unprofessional.

I have been made aware by my friend Michiel that his Gaydar profile has been suspended following a complaint from another user on the site.

Michiel has a condition called Asperger's Syndrome, which is a mild form of Autism. One of the defining traits of Asperger's is a very strict and rigid moral code that the individual with AS will follow without deviation.

His conduct was not, in any way, intended to cause unnecessary distress or to cause defamation. In fact, a trait of Asperger's is extreme honesty.

Gaydar support and MD's need to understand that he am disabled, he do not see the world as you, I or they do, he see things very differently, they don't seem to be able to cope with people with disabilities.

They have singled out myself for doing things that other people have done on the website brought it to the attention, as requested, and they not been suspended. This is classed as 'less favourable treatment'. Because he is registered disabled.

Anyone within reason are allowed to speak freely, whether you have terms and conditions or not and anyone is allowed to defend themselves in a public domain chat room, they in no uncertain terms have breached his human rights by silencing him when he has been defending himself and also warning others, and also telling of his condition to people who call him names.

They have to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate him and anyone else, and as a service provider they are accountable for what people do on their website, they provide a platform for people to converse on, and various other things. He have morals, he sticks to these, he is very honest, and does the correct thing.

He was advised to use the abuse button, he has, and it did work well, until they have now decided that he is using it too much, abusing an abuse button, that's a new one!

He had also had a debate with someone On 21 April, the user stated in the chat room that they wanted to meet someone, he looked at their profile and it said there were in a open relationship, and he wanted further information as he did not understand why the person was asking for a particular thing.

So he asked why did the user want to meet someone else when he already had a boyfriend. The user responded and my friend replied, he then got very anxious because he saw the user as dangerous and calculating and he stopped talking and told the user he was making me feel ill, and he felt sick, he blocked the user in question and returned to chatting in the main room.

The user then started to chat in the room, saying that my friend was illogical and had no idea of the world. My friend felt threatened by this and he reported it using the abuse button and also sent an email explain what had happened. You can see the conversation as it went , it can be provided to you..

Gaydar then responded saying they had suspended his profile, even though he had ‘owned up' to having this debate! It was a debate between two adults! Well one Adult it seems. He asked me one of his friend to contact gaydar and they refused to talk about it.

They have sent a letter, which both he and I are confused about, ( see pdf attached)(It is address to his old user name and it is written is haste) he asked someone to write in to gaydar in January, and they never replied to it. They are now using this letter to reply three months late, and seem to be washing their hands of it all. And it seems that his condition causes them problems. They are fully aware of it, and don't seem to have done very much to understand his condition they say they have but if they did they would not have acted like this, they would of offered support.

This has now been proven to be discrimination by The Human Rights and Equality Commission as they have been privileged to see the emails that gaydar have sent out, one being very contradictory indeed and one in no uncertain terms discriminating me because he see things different due to my disability.

I myself have tried to talk to gaydar they keep referring to the letter they sent, see below email.

By suspending his account, he is now extremely anxious as the one means by which he meet other people has been taken away.

I would like to ask that you consider this very seriously, This individual appears to be a very calculating and potentially dangerous person and gaydar appears to be very discriminating against Michiel because he is different and see things differently, and I think to simply ignore these concerns about him would be a grave error.

They will not reply to him or speak to him on the telephone or in email, they will only communicate with a legal person.

Please feel free to contact myself if you require any more information

Yours

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
4/23/2009
Solicitor: sojlaw,
 replied 8 years ago
sojlaw

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question and I look forward to working on your answer. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if I ask a redundant question.

That being said, in order to better assist you, could you please clarify for me:

What exactly is your question, regarding this sad situation your friend Michiel finds himself in? (We can no represent people here or work outside of this venue for customers, but we can answer a question for you.)

I look forward to getting to work on this for you. Hang in there!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, JA Legal Expert

Please note: A times there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. In addition, if it is late at night, EST, and we are between postings, I may go get some shut eye, but I'll be back the next day, so never fear. On Saturday, there will be greater gaps in time due to scheduling, for any needed follow up, but rest assured, by day's end it will be done.

I have a friend with Aspergers Syndrome he has been ‘suspended’ and blacklisted by gaydar, for what I believe is an illegal suspension, if not that it is very unprofessional.

I have been made aware by my friend Michiel MacLachlan that his Gaydar profile provided by QSoft Consualting in the UK, has been suspended following a complaint from another user on the site.

Gaydar support and MD’s need to understand that he am disabled, he do not see the world as you, I or they do, he see things very differently, they don’t seem to be able to cope with people with disabilities.

He was advised to use the abuse button, he has, and it did work well, until they have now decided that he is using it too much, abusing an abuse button, that’s a new one!

Gaydar then responded saying they had suspended his profile, even though he had ‘owned up’ to having this debate! It was a debate between two adults! Well one Adult it seems. He asked me one of his friend to contact gaydar and they refused to talk about it.

They have sent a letter, which both he and I are confused about, ( see pdf attached)(It is address to his old user name and it is written is haste) he asked someone to write in to gaydar in January, and they never replied to it. They are now using this letter to reply three months late, and seem to be washing their hands of it all. And it seems that his condition causes them problems. They are fully aware of it, and don’t seem to have done very much to understand his condition they say they have but if they did they would not have acted like this, they would of offered support.

Solicitor: sojlaw,
 replied 8 years ago
Hi Matt, I am going to send this to our UK law expert, as it appears from this additional post that this concerns UK law. Thanks for clarifying, someone should be with you shortly. Best of justice to you and Michiel.
OK thank you and I look forward to hearing from them
Where is the UK law expert then?
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi

I think probably the reason that you aren't getting a response is that you're giving us too much information to be processed in this forum.

I wonder if we could summarise your question rather more ? I'll see if I can help.
I have a friend with Aspergers Syndrome he has been ‘suspended’ and blacklisted by gaydar website, for being different, for what I believe is an illegal suspension, if not that it is very unprofessional.
It may well be unfair.

A website is, in effect, a private establishment and they are entitled to suspend people without cause or reason. What they should not do is do so for an unlawful reason. If they have said, or you think you can prove, that they have done so because he is different that may amount to disability discrimination.

You do need to take into account though that the costs of this claim may be running out of control.
You could try to make that point. They will probably have some other justification though that may or may not be accepted.
They removed him for being different, no one else got removed and they did far worse things then ask questions and report people abusing him.

They have removed him becasue they cannot cope with him doing as they asked and that was to report to them if he was getting abuse, he has, they say its taking up time, thats not his fault.
I'm not sure I can add anything to this. All I would say is that its very unlikely that the providers will admit any of that. These are allegations that are easy to make but very easy to defend too.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister