UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

My wife has been bruitally and excessivelly manhandled by

Customer Question
the police and as a...
my wife has been bruitally and excessivelly manhandled by the police and as a result of this she has had her arm twistwed up her back so severely that she has been admitted to hospital because the tendens have been detached from the bone due to this she may need sergury
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2009
Solicitor: Clare, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Clare
Clare, Solicitor
You can make a complaint to the police, or even make an allegation of assault. If your wife resisted arrest in anyway though, this is likely to be seen as reasonable force. Twisting the arms and putting extreme pressure on wrists are standard ways of controlling violent people, or people attempting to resist arrest.
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

my wife didnt resist an arrest,the officer involved was swearing at her and started to push her with his chest, i do believe there could be cctv footage of his actions,my wife hasnt even been arrested

There must have been a reason for being restrained. I don't want it to sound like I don't believe you, but officers don't do those things for no reason. What was the reason?

May i just draw your attention to your remark that officers dont act in accordance as you quoted,Please ! What happened was that another woman attacked my wife at a function last week and accused her of seeing her husband, the police were called and my wife was taken out of the building to be questioned on her own, the police constable who questioned her started to swear at my wife and said he was a very good friend with the other woman who my wife had a verbal conversation with and he informed my wife that he was having no f**king shit from my wife and the officer then started chesting my wife and said get in the f**king van, when she replied she had done nothing to this woman he then put her hand up her back and twisted it that hard that she is now awaiting surgery to attach the tendons back on to the bone so please dont doubt what i am telling you as i was there and wasn't your usaul intoxicated idiot Ps sorry for the language but that was how it was.

This is a tough one. If I were you I would put in a complaint about his behaviour and actions, however when he said get in the van, that would be acceptable in a court of law to be informing them they are effectively under arrest. As she did not, his actions were mostly justified, although I cannot comment on the amount of force not being there at the time.

If you feel it was innappropriate, please complain to either the police station or the IPCC, both who have a legal duty to investigate these complaints. The officer can be disciplined or even charged with a criminal offence although that would be entirely up to the police as to how it gets dealt with and the level of evidence.

Clare
Clare
Clare, Solicitor