UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My son met a Slovakian girl and very soon afterwards she…

My son met a Slovakian...
My son met a Slovakian girl and very soon afterwards she announced she was pregnant. She moved in with him and he took care of everything for her, her debts included. They had a beautiful baby daughter 8 days ago. He is registered as the father on her birth certificate although he is not 100% sure in his own mind that she is his. He is 99% sure and so am I. However she is now threatening to go back to Slovakia and take the baby! He absolutely adores the baby and it would break his heart to loose her. How does he stand legally and what steps should he take, Thank you.
3/14/2009
A. Stewart
A. Stewart, Barrister
Hi

Sorry to hear that.

Since your son has parental responsibility(PR) for her daughter being on her birth certificate, his partner cannot take the child out of the UK without his consent. She would need to apply and get a court order first to permanently remove the child from the jurisdiction of the court.

Under the Child Abduction Act 1984, it is an offence for any person to take a child out of the UK without 'appropriate consent'.

If your son fears that his daughter would be taken abroad permanently, then he should consider the following:

Alert the local police station.

Court Orders. Where there is risk of abduction, a parent can apply for:
-A prohibited steps order from the courts to prevent the removal of the child from the UK. A breach of this order would be a contempt of court.
-A specific issue order could settle a dispute about whether a child is allowed to leave the UK.
-A residence order to determine with whom the child should live.

Contact the United Kingdom Passport Agency and ask them to surrender a passport or ask them not to grant a passport to the child. They will usually need to see a court order (as mentioned above).

Contact Reunite: The International Child Abduction Centre. They can provide parents with a Child Abduction Prevention Pack, or visit their website www.reunite.org.uk.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
A. Stewart
A. Stewart, Barrister
Thank you so much, that is comforting to know.