How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Stewart Your Own Question
A. Stewart
A. Stewart, Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 4474
Experience:  Barrister
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
A. Stewart is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been suspended from work (Monday 9th March) pending

This answer was rated:

I have been suspended from work (Monday 9th March) pending a disciplinary meeting for reasons that were not made known to me, by telephone, on Thursday pm (12th March) I was told that enclosures containing details of why I had been suspended would be posted to me in time for the meeting on Monday (16th March) So far I've received nothing and it's now Saturday mid morning (14th March) I've had nothing to prepare with, nor have I been informed as to my rights with regard to whom I can request to represent me. Company is "flying a kite" as far as I'm concerned, however I want to be fully up-to-speed with what I can do. Can you help?       Customer

Sorry to hear that.

Your employer would have to notify you first in writing the reason for your suspension from work and provide adequate details and your rights under the statutory disciplinary and dismissal procedure. You should also have been given enough time(atleast 5 days notice) to prepare for the disciplinary hearing which was not done in your case.

You should therefore get in touch in touch with them and ask them to adjourn the meeting until you are provided with the reasons for the disciplinary action being contemplated against you and given enough time to prepare for your case.

You are also allowed to take a colleague or a trade union member with you to the meeting. You can ask them to delay the meeting by upto 5 days to arrange a companion to represent you to the meeting.

If they dismiss you and you think that it's unfair, you could make an appeal against the dismissal to your employer first. If they decide not to overturn your dismissal, you could make a claim for unfair dismissal against the company in an employment tribunal within 3 months of the termination of your employment.

Please visit the link below for detailed guidance on making a claim:

Hope this helps.

A. Stewart and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you