How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Stewart Your Own Question
A. Stewart
A. Stewart, Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 4474
Experience:  Barrister
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
A. Stewart is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live in uk british citizen and have married an illegal immigrant

Resolved Question:

i live in uk british citizen and have married an illegal immigrantfrom pakistan we have had an islamic marriage we are both very happy and my husband wants to apply for a uk visa...what are our options,,,if we go to pakistan how long is the procedure ////or if we apply in uk...i have three children who are 17 16 14 i do not have any realtives that can look after them if i go i dont want to go to pakistan as im working in uk
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  A. Stewart replied 8 years ago.

Since your husband is currently living illegally in the UK, he would need to go back to Pakistan in order to apply for spouse visa. This would be granted initially for 2 years after which he would be eligible for permanent residency(ILR) in the UK.

Please visit the link below for detailed guidance on making an application:

The visa application processing times varies from one country to another but it takes between 4-6 weeks on average. You should get in touch with the UK visa application centre in Pakistan to enquire about this:

Hope this helps.

A. Stewart and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
<p>do i need to go with him...what do we need to prove that we are living as a husband and wife,,,,can we have a right to marry in the uk   through an islamic marriage</p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so once he goes back what do i need to do from my part here what are the chances that the application can get i need togo with him...are there any rules on compassionate grounds
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is there a 10 year ban on people who enter uk illegally...and finger print testing,,,if we applied from uk on a human rights applications will that take longer?/we are both of different religions and my family have been very threatening
Expert:  A. Stewart replied 8 years ago.

No, you do not need to go with him but I would strongly advise you to do so in case an interview is conducted as part of the application process, they may want to interview you too.

If there was a civil registration of your marriage, then it is legally recognised in the UK.

I cannot comment on the chances of his application without having a detailed look at his application and the documentation.

If he doesn't leave the UK voluntarily, he may be deported and banned for a period of upto 10 years.

Yes, there would be finger print testing.

He can make a human rights application within the UK but the chances of such an application being successful is very low and therefore I would advise you against it.

Please visit the links below for useful information and detailed guidance on the documentation required to prove the requirements:

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
at the moment i am working full time but i still get working tax credit and child tax credit and child benefit as i have children,,,,,will that be classed as a benefit...can you reccomend any good legal support in uk ..i live in slough and would benefit from a good concerned about coming to uk on my own if case is rejected as i have a family who is threatening becuase of religion factor
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  A. Stewart replied 8 years ago.

If you are claiming any benefits yourself, it is not a problem but your husband should not claim any type of benefits.

You can easily find solicitors dealing in Immigration Law in your local area to help you with the application process by using the link below:

Best of Luck.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
would i need to get premisson from landlord to have partner staying with me ..and also over crowoding i need to tell tax credit and the council that i have partner staying with me