How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Stewart Your Own Question
A. Stewart
A. Stewart, Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 4474
Experience:  Barrister
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
A. Stewart is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to put my sons name on my house deeds

Resolved Question:

I want to put my sons name on my house deeds
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  A. Stewart replied 8 years ago.

Can you provide some more details? Is there any outstanding mortgage? Is the house in your sole name? Why do you want to transfer the deeds of your house to your son's name?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.


the house was in joint name with my husband who has recently died,

the mortgage has been paid by an endowment policy so no mortgage remaining


My son will receive the house when I die, but i it needs major work done on it and i don't

want to get a new loan at my age (55)


My son can get a homeowner loan but his name has to be on the deeds first

to release the equity



Expert:  A. Stewart replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the clarification.

If there is no mortgage, you could add your son to the deeds of the house yourself with a land registry form TR1.

However I would advise to get a solicitor to do it, who should not charge more than around £100-£150 plus land registry costs.

Hope this helps.

A. Stewart and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you