How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Your Own Question
Mark, Contracts Officer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 82
Experience:  LLB Hons, PGDip in Legal Practice (Undertaking), 2 years working experience in contractual matters
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am a British citizen and I marry a non British citizen

Resolved Question:

If I am a British citizen and I marry a non British citizen abroad, and we live abroad, can that person become a British citizen? What status can they apply for, if any?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Mark replied 8 years ago.



You will be able to sponsor your spouse for a marriage visa. If you have been married for less than 4 years your spouse's visa will last 2 years, after which your spouse will be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain.


There are a number of free online eligibility tests like this one:


I hope this answers your question.


All the best

Mark and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you