UK Immigration Law

Have UK immigration law questions? Get answers now.

My insane ex is trying to make some ludicrous false claims…

Customer Question
Hi, My insane ex is trying...
My insane ex is trying to make some ludicrous false claims about me, he however lives in the USA and I live in London. He can't press charges on me can he an he is in the United States?
I have said I am going to go there to put a claim of domestic abuse against him but I can't do so as I am in London.
Just clarifying this so he can't threaten and abuse me further
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Immigration Law
11/17/2017
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 months ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi - are you both British?

No. He is American. I spoke to the officer and he said because he made a claim using the online service on the website for the MET police they can take his claim. It is ridiculous he is American... he's claiming malcious communication when In fact it's the other way round, he is domestically absuive. He said because some of the contact happened in England he can press charges on me. However I am trying to press charges on him in America for the same thing and they said I have to actually be in America for it to happen. It's really not fair and ridiculous I just don't know what to do.
He is American he isn't English, if seems completely ludicruous this is happening when I can't press charges on him in America. A lot of the communication happaned between both UK and USA but the officer doesn't care. One of the officers is always sharing confidential information about me to my ex.

He is likely to come to London to report it?

Is he saying that any of this took place in the UK?

No he won't come to London
He said some of it took part here the calls and texts between us
But obviously they did but not all of them and it shouldn't be allowed that he can report a crime and I'm not allowed to do it with him... he's an American citizen and they are treating him as if he's English

Sorry but who are?

The police
He made an allegation by an online form to the police and they are taking if seriously even though he's not an English citizen and 9/10 none of it happaned here. He should have do follow the same procedure I did and he made to speak under caution and have to speak on a recording...

Oh, I see.

Well he can be a complainant even if abroad.

The reality though is that he would have to come to the UK to give evidence against you or they would have to video link him from the states which is unlikely because it is expensive.

This is ultimately a low level allegation and they are not going to spend the funds on teh video link.

However, in principle, the issue is not his location but the location of the offences.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

It has between U.K. And USA. I phoned the police in Virginia and said I had to go to America to do it. But our texts and calls have been half here, half America... I feel the police are pushing something that isn't even a thing
He has given a statement via email... yet I had to go the station and give a statement in custody being recorded. I think what they are doing is illegal
Can you clarify, an email is not sufficient for giving evidence?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.