UK Immigration Law

Have UK immigration law questions? Get answers now.

I was born French and acquired British citizenship via my…

I was born French and...
I was born French and acquired British citizenship via my British mother around 1985. I reside in France and have dual nationality. Are my French wife and children eligible to acquire British nationality via me now ?
11/7/2017
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

I am afraid that you cannot pass your British Nationality to your children as you were not born in the UK

Your wife and children would have to live legally in the Uk for five years before they could acquire citizenship

Please ask if you need further details

Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Thanks. So in other words, I was eligible because my mother was UK born, but beyond me, it cannot be passed on by descent. I am a British citizen that is legally sterile of British offspring unless born in the UK.
Could you give me the references in the UK Nationality act that corroborate your answer ? It's quite a document!
Thanks
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.