UK Immigration Law

Have UK immigration law questions? Get answers now.

I am a British citizen and am getting married to a Chinese…

Customer Question
Hello,I am a British citizen...
Hello,I am a British citizen and am getting married to a Chinese national in December. She has been in the UK for over 4 years, firstly as a student, then has spent 3 years working for a Tier 2 sponsor, with a salary of £23,000. Unfortunately her contract is coming to an end on the 22nd December 2017. We have registered to be married at our local registry office, and are currently awaiting permission from the home office. Our goal is to get a spouse visa, however we are slightly concerned with the financial requirement. I am self employed, and at the moment my previous years income was under the financial requirement, however this year I am yet to submit my latest tax return but I estimate I will be just under the 18,600 requirement. My question is, can we use her income for the application even though her contract will end in December? What do you think would be the best route for us to take application wise?Sincerely ***** ***** advice.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Immigration Law
10/23/2017
Solicitor: Buachaill, Barrister replied 9 months ago
Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister

1. Dear *****, I regret to say you cannot use her income in meeting the 18,600 threshold to get her a visa as your spouse. Essentially the right to get a spouse visa vests in the UK citizen and he must show he exceeds the income threshold. It makes no difference that your wife might be currently working in the UK and earning in excess of the income amount.

2. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I would advise you to get a part time job for six months so your own income exceeds the 18,600 threshold. This will avoid any difficulties when you go to apply for the visa. If you are slightly short of the 18,600, this is the only surefire way to get above the threshold. The only other alternative is to get her employer to renew her employment contract.

3. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Thank you for the answer, just one question, would that still be the case if we were to apply earlier whilst her contract is still valid?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.