UK Immigration Law

Have UK immigration law questions? Get answers now.

Portuguese Nationality Question for UK / Portuguese citizen.

Mrs A was born in...
Mrs A was born in Portugal 54 years ago fr Portuguese parents. They came to UK in 1966 & in 1974 she was 'registered' British citizen (BC). She married a BC in UK in 1988 & had a child in 1999. She has her Portuguese birth certificate & now wishes to get her Portuguese national ID card (& hence passport) for herself & her child. She will of course ask the consulate in UK but they are v difficult to get hold of. Does any expert here know how she shd go about it? The exact steps she'll need to take? Friends advise that she needs to register her UK marriage with Portuguese consulate first (transcribe her marriage) especially as she wants to get her child a Portuguese ID card and a passport too. Thank you.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/19/2017
Naveed Khan
Children born abroad to Portuguese parents (one or both) are entitled to Portuguese nationality.Applications for nationality must be submitted to the nearest Portuguese Consulate, to be processed and forwarded to the Conservatória dos Registos Centrais in Lisbon, for registration. Portuguese documents cannot be issued until registration is completed by the Conservatória, a process which may take between 1 to 4 weeks.Registration of Children from Birth to 14 Years of AgeBoth parents (even if one is not a Portuguese national) must appear in person at the Consulate to apply for nationality on behalf of their child(ren), and to sign the birth registration. The parent(s) holding Portuguese nationality must be registered at the Consulate and if married, the marriage needs to be registered in Portugal before applying for the child’s Portuguese nationality. The following documents must be presented:Child’s birth certificate (long form containing all pertaining information about the birth, legalized by the Portuguese Consulate in jurisdiction of the area of birth);Portuguese passport and identification card of Portuguese parent(s);Birth Certificate of non-Portuguese parent (legalized by the Portuguese Consulate in jurisdiction of the area of birth).Registrations after 14 years of age must include birth certificate translation and legalization fee ($55.00) and a notarized copy of passport.Registration of Applicants 18 and OverApplicants must appear in person at the nearest Portuguese Consulate, with the following documents:Certified copy of the long form of his/her birth certificate, legalized by “Appostille” or by the Consulate of Portugal, as per attached instructions;Identification documents with photo/signature such as passport, I.D. cards, etc.);Marriage certificate (if applicable), proof of employment and current address.
Thank you so much. We will read this in detail as soon as we can tonight. Look forward...
Please let me know if you have any questions. I am here to help. Please dont forget to accept my answer and rate me. Thank you
Should Mrs A apply for her Portuguese ID card & passport 1st & before registering (transcribing) her marriage certificate with Portuguese consulate or must she register her marriage with Portuguese consulate before applying for her Portuguese ID & passport?
Parents´ marriage must be endorsed on the birth certificate. If married abroad and marriage has not yet been registered in Portugal, registration must be done by the Consulate before the child may apply for nationality.
Naveed Khan
Thank you. Can Mrs A get her Portuguese ID and passport first for herself and then register her marriage with Portuguese consulate for the benefit or her child (and husband) or vice versa? In any case, if she wants to get her ID & passport 1st what is the procedure, i.e. Just to to consulate with her Portuguese birth cert ?
I have other questions re. this & other related matters which I will come to you if I may with a new question. Thank you
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.