UK Immigration Law

Have UK immigration law questions? Get answers now.

My partner and I are trying to move from the US to the UK. I…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My partner and...
Second opinion] My partner and I are trying to move from the US to the UK. I am a UK citizen and he is a US citizen, and we have a baby on the way which we would like to raise in England, as neither of us have family here in the US.My partner however has a criminal record and i'm concerned it is going to bar us from moving to the UK. He had 2 Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol convictions in the month of May 2013 - needless to say it was a terrible month for him personally.
However, my concern is that this year he pled guilty to a misdemeanor theft. He was given a $50,000 fine which we paid immediately and avoided a custodial sentence.I understand that applying for a visa 12 months following a conviction will likely lead to a refusal, so we are considering waiting it out for 1-2 years and applying then. If we wait this timeframe, what are our chances of moving to the UK as a family?For what it is worth, he went to a top university, has a great job as a computer programmer, great references, is involved with the local church, and I am a New York Commercial Lawyer with no criminal record. I could sit and explain that the theft was huge misunderstanding and he took the guilty plea and financial blow to avoid the risk of a custodial sentence with our baby on the way, but I understand this is neither here nor there and on paper it is a still a conviction.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Immigration Law
10/13/2017
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Thanks for requesting me - unfortunately this is a question which is not within my area of law. I will open to it to all other experts and someone will hopefully pick it up soon. Please do not reply to this as it will just lock the question back to me. Many thanks