UK Immigration Law

Have UK immigration law questions? Get answers now.

I am in the process of filing for my husband to join me here…

Customer Question
Hello I am in...

Hello I am in the process of filing for my husband to join me here in the UK but have a few queries 1. We married on 2nd September 2017 but I was told by a friend that I should wait a few months before we apply for the visa as it may be refused if we apply too soon after the marriage.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Is this correct, is there an amount of time you should wait before applying for a visa once you are married?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband was in the Jamaican Army for 6 years and finished his contract in January 2017 he has not been working since then, will this effect his chances?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: UK Immigration Law
9/18/2017
Solicitor: Maverick, Advocate replied 11 months ago
Maverick
Maverick, Advocate

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

To qualify for a UK spouse / marriage visa you must satisfy the following requirements:

• You and your spouse must be 18 years old or over.
  • You must have met each other and be legally married (this is to prevent arranged marriages where people often have not met in person).
  • You must intend to live together permanently.
  • You must have enough money to support yourselves (and any dependents) without claiming public funds.
  • You, as the sponsoring partner, must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings to be able to sponsor him.
  • You must have suitable accommodation for you, your spouse and any dependants.
  • He must satisfy the English language requirements.

So, you see there is no need to wait if you can meet these requirements.

Did this answer your question?

Please Note:

(1) This information is for educational purposes only and it may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. It is not guaranteed to be correct or complete and you should not act or fail to act based on this information alone. This and all other Just Answer disclaimers also apply to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Another problem we have is my mother sponsored my husband to visit me here in the Uk last year as her godson however he is not officially her godson and now I am sponsoring him as my husband would it affect his case
Solicitor: frantzgregory, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
frantzgregory
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.