UK Immigration Law
Have UK Immigration Law Questions? Get Answers Now.
1. Hello, could you please provide additional information so I may help you with your question. Firstly, where was your son born? Was it in the UK or some other country, such as New Zealand? When was your son born? Has your son spent three years of his life in the UK before the agen of 18? Where is your son living now? Does your son want to go and live in the UK or spend time there?
2. Dear *****, your son would have been able to obtain a British passport if he had applied for one before he was 18. Here is a link to the UK government website which sets out this fact https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/children-born-outside-uk
3. However, your son cannot now obtain citizenship by descent from his Uk born citizen father as the rules for children born outside the Uk are different than those for children born in the UK.
4. Your son can apply for an ancestral visa to live and work in the UK. After five years living in the UK he would then become entitled to a UK passport.
5. However, as things stand, he cannot directly apply for a British passport based on his being a foreign born child of a UK CITIZEN born a UK citizen.
6. Please accept or rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.