UK Immigration Law

Have UK Immigration Law Questions? Get Answers Now.

UK Immigration Law

My son is wanting to apply for a UK passport. his dad was…

Hi, my son is...

Hi, my son is wanting to apply for a UK passport. his dad was born a British citizen. My sons father and I were not married but have been in a de facto relationship for 27yrs. Because we were not married I would like to know how we go about applying for a British passport.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No what type of lawyer would I need to see

I have started the passport application for a UK passport for my son, because his father and I are not married but have been in a de facto relationship for 27yrs I want some advise as to what documentation I need to supply.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/9/2017
Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister

1. Hello, could you please provide additional information so I may help you with your question. Firstly, where was your son born? Was it in the UK or some other country, such as New Zealand? When was your son born? Has your son spent three years of his life in the UK before the agen of 18? Where is your son living now? Does your son want to go and live in the UK or spend time there?

My son was born in New Zealand,
no he has not spent three years of his life before the age of 18 in the U.K. My son still lives in New Zealand and is planning his OE and wants to live and work in the U.K if successfully in getting the passport. His sister has a British passport, she has recently returned from her 2yr OE on London. Both of my children have the same father.
Kim
Sorry my son was born on the 1/7/1995

2. Dear *****, your son would have been able to obtain a British passport if he had applied for one before he was 18. Here is a link to the UK government website which sets out this fact https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/children-born-outside-uk

3. However, your son cannot now obtain citizenship by descent from his Uk born citizen father as the rules for children born outside the Uk are different than those for children born in the UK.

4. Your son can apply for an ancestral visa to live and work in the UK. After five years living in the UK he would then become entitled to a UK passport.

5. However, as things stand, he cannot directly apply for a British passport based on his being a foreign born child of a UK CITIZEN born a UK citizen.

6. Please accept or rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Buachaill
Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister