How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 10621
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is wanting to apply for a UK passport. his dad was

This answer was rated:

Hi, my son is wanting to apply for a UK passport. his dad was born a British citizen. My sons father and I were not married but have been in a de facto relationship for 27yrs. Because we were not married I would like to know how we go about applying for a British passport.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No what type of lawyer would I need to see
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have started the passport application for a UK passport for my son, because his father and I are not married but have been in a de facto relationship for 27yrs I want some advise as to what documentation I need to supply.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

1. Hello, could you please provide additional information so I may help you with your question. Firstly, where was your son born? Was it in the UK or some other country, such as New Zealand? When was your son born? Has your son spent three years of his life in the UK before the agen of 18? Where is your son living now? Does your son want to go and live in the UK or spend time there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My son was born in New Zealand,
no he has not spent three years of his life before the age of 18 in the U.K. My son still lives in New Zealand and is planning his OE and wants to live and work in the U.K if successfully in getting the passport. His sister has a British passport, she has recently returned from her 2yr OE on London. Both of my children have the same father.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry my son was born on the 1/7/1995

2. Dear *****, your son would have been able to obtain a British passport if he had applied for one before he was 18. Here is a link to the UK government website which sets out this fact

3. However, your son cannot now obtain citizenship by descent from his Uk born citizen father as the rules for children born outside the Uk are different than those for children born in the UK.

4. Your son can apply for an ancestral visa to live and work in the UK. After five years living in the UK he would then become entitled to a UK passport.

5. However, as things stand, he cannot directly apply for a British passport based on his being a foreign born child of a UK CITIZEN born a UK citizen.

6. Please accept or rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Buachaill and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you