UK Immigration Law

Have UK Immigration Law Questions? Get Answers Now.

UK Immigration Law

I am looking to emigrate back to the UK within the next

Customer Question
My name is Kate ******...

My name is Kate ******. I am looking to emigrate back to the UK within the next year. I am from the UK originally, but my three children were born here. I need to know what I need to do on this end and on that end to be able to streamline the process. Is this something you might be able to help me with? I also need to sell my house, etc. Thanks! JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS? Customer: I am a legal permanent resident of the USA. I have lived in San Diego for 16 years. JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet? Customer: Not yet, no. JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: I am moving to the UK with my three children, but my husband and I are (not legally) separated, and he is staying here. He is giving me permission to move with the children.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Immigration Law
5/9/2017
Solicitor: Clare, Solicitor replied 6 months ago
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What would you like to know?

Everything, I guess!On the US side, what do I need to do as far as wrapping things up? Will I have any tax repercussions - how and who do I notify that I'm leaving, on my behalf and my children's?
Do the US authorities of any kind need to be notified that I and my children are leaving?Is there anything I need to do on the UK side - and is this something you can help me with, or refer me to someone who might?
I know my children are UK citizens by proxy, so getting them passports shouldn't be a problem. But I will still be working from home in the UK for a US company - will there be any problems with that?Basically, I need a step by step guide with suggested time frames on when everything needs to happen, as I am planning on moving next Spring.Thanks!Kate

I can only help on the Uk side I am afraid.

Do you have somewhere to go to?

Hi Clare,
I will need to sell my house here before I can buy anything in the UK, but I can always stay with family in the meantime.
Did you mean you can only help me on the US side? Or the UK side?
Thanks!
Kate

Only the Uk side i am afraid

No problem! What do I need to do on the U.K. side?

That is simple (well legally so)

Make sure that you have the consent of the father to the move in writing - then if he changes his mind you are protected.

As you say the children are entitled to UK passports - I suggest that you apply for them as soon as posisble to ease your administrative tasks once you are here.

That's it then - just come home.

It would be sensible if you know the area in which you intend to live to make applications to the relevant schools in advance in case of oversubscription - and to makes sure that you bring full education and health records.

You already have an NHS number and a National Insurance Number

You can apply for Child Benefit as soon as you arrive and may be eligible for other means tested benefits after three months

Please ask if you need further details

Hi Clare,
I do know the area we will be moving to, so that makes it easier.
When should I start applying for schools, and how do I find out the regulations?
Also, what benefits would I be entitled to?
Thanks,
Kate

Which regulations?

I'm not sure. Are there any? How would I get my kids into a catchment area school if I don't already have a house there and they don't have NIS numbers?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
If it is a catchment area, then I have to apply by a certain date, correct? And how do I prove that I live in that catchment area if I don't?
Clare
Clare
Clare, Solicitor