UK Immigration Law

Have UK Immigration Law Questions? Get Answers Now.

UK Immigration Law

I applied for 32 days visit visa for the UK and got given 6

Customer Question
Hi I applied for 32...
Hi I applied for 32 days visit visa for the UK and got given 6 months to visit my wife's family. Upon arriving in UK my wife got depressed due to a family loss and was put on anti-depressants by her GP and counsellor. From this and the situation at which my wife was at I had to extend my stay to 5 months so that I could help her with her recovering process before heading back home but it did not cross my mind to inform the immigration of this changes. I left after 5 months and still my wife is on anti-depressants in the UK while I try to apply for a spouse visa to join her in her recovery will this affect my spouse visa due to the extension yet I have genuine reasons and what should I do?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: N/A
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Hi I applied for 32 days visit visa for the UK and got given 6 months to visit my wife's family. Upon arriving in UK my wife got depressed due to a family loss and was put on anti-depressants by her GP and counsellor. From this and the situation at which my wife was at I had to extend my stay to 5 months so that I could help her with her recovering process before heading back home but it did not cross my mind to inform the immigration of this changes. I left after 5 months and still my wife is on anti-depressants in the UK while I try to apply for a spouse visa to join her in her recovery will this affect my spouse visa due to the extension yet I have genuine reasons and what should I do?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: UK Immigration Law
1/31/2017
Solicitor: Buachaill, Barrister replied 11 months ago
Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister

1. Hello, it won't affect your application for a fresh visitor visa that you spent five months and not 32 days in the UK when you were given your last visa. This change of plans will not prejudice any future visa application. However, the rule is that you can only be granted one visitor visa for 180 days in any 12 month period. So, you will have to wait until you have been six months gone from the UK before you will get another Visa to enter the UK as a visitor. So, you will not be able to re-enter the UK even though you have a genuine reason until this six month period has elapsed. I know this can work injustice. However, you would have to be a citizen or be applying for a work visa to get back into the UK before six months have elapsed since the last time you were there.

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Buachaill
Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister