UK Immigration Law

Have UK Immigration Law Questions? Get Answers Now.

UK Immigration Law

My wife is from Belarus and came here on a k1 visa in

Customer Question
Hello, my wife is from...
Hello, my wife is from Belarus and came here on a k1 visa in November of 2015. Her passport expired in August of 2016. Is it possible to get her passport renewed from the Belarus Embassy in the United States in New York or does she have to return to Belarus for renewal? Her green card is not yet been granted. Will she be allowed to return to the US if she has to go to Belarus? Thank You.
Phil
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Immigration Law
9/20/2016
Solicitor: Expert_James,
 replied 1 year ago
Expert_James

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a back and forth conversation. Once you've received the information you need, you can thank me by issuing me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

It might be possible to get the passport from the Belarus consulate but that is a decision left entirely up to the government of Belarus. Sure they have the authority to do so, but the United States has no jurisdiction or influence on the consulate - effectively a branch of the Belarus government only geographically located in the US - to force them to issue a passport if that is not their policy to do so.

Did your wife apply for Advanced Parole when she applied for the green card?

How long ago did she apply for the green card?

Why does she need the passport at this time?

Solicitor: Expert_James,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going.

I see you have reviewed my response. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My wife came here on a k1 visa in November 2015. We were married in December of 2015. She has had doubts from the beginning about staying so we put off applying for her green card. The relationship has been rocky to say the least and she wants to return home. Her passport expired in August of 2016 and the Belearussian Embassy said she has to renew it in Belarus. The question is how can she return to Belarus on an expired passport?
Solicitor: Expert_James,
 replied 1 year ago

So this is really a question about Belarusian law, not US immigration law, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure where the jurisdiction lies on this. She will be traveling from the United States to Belarus through possibly Vienna on an expired passport. Are there any forms that can be filed to allow such travel with an expired passport? Since she came here as an immigrant I thought that it would fall under some type of immigration law.
Solicitor: Expert_James,
 replied 1 year ago

Well, first you asked if she could come back to the US. Now you asked how she could go back to Belarus. So I'm confused on what you are seeking information on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry my mistake. my question is this: With an expired passport, how is it possible for her to return to her own country, which is Belarus. She will not be returning. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
Solicitor: Expert_James,
 replied 1 year ago

OK, then I have to opt out of the question because this is the US immigration section. You need the European law section. Please be patient, as this takes some time.

Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor