How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 10536
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an Irish national - I have a Republic of Ireland passport

Customer Question

Hi, I am an Irish national - I have a Republic of Ireland passport and a South African husband. We lived in SA before coming here to the UK this week. He is on an EEA family permit visa and we are preparing to apply for a residents card for him. Do I need to apply for a residents card too? Although I have been in and out of the U.K. Over the last 20 years, I do own property here and am self employed. Please advise
JA: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No can you recommend someone
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Immigration Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Immigration Lawyer should know?
Customer: No I just want to know whether I need to do anything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Ireland and Great Britain have maintained a free travel area since 1922, when the state of Ireland came into existence. As part of this agreement, citizens of either country can live in the other country without any restriction. So there is no need to apply for a residence card in the UK. The only reason you would ever apply for a residence card in the UK is if you wanted to take out UK citizenship after five years lawful residence in the UK. Then your UK residence card can be evidence that you have been living in the UK for this period of time. However, if you only wish to retain your Irish citizenship, there is no need to get a residence card. The law does not provide for Irish citizens to need anything to live in the UK.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions