How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 33036
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a uk citizen, who wants to marry a Chinese girl. I am

Customer Question

I am a uk citizen, who wants to marry a Chinese girl. I am currently working full time in Thailand, so have no home in the uk for next 2 years or so. I met my fiancé in Shanghai whilst on a project the for the past 18 months. My divorce papers are immement and want to marry my fiancée immediately. We will be living in Thailand for next two year, so we are looking to marry in uk and return to Thailand, in a few years time we would settle in the uk! What is my best course to get married in the uk ideally
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

So you want to get married in the UK and then live in the UK or just visit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking to get married in the UK but for 2 years will be living in Thailand as I have work there and working under a thai work permit.So short term, it is about getting married in UK. Return to UK to live in maybe 3 years timeRegards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess we would want to visit the uk periodically before settling in the uk in a few years time.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

I see. Thats makes perfect sense. Basically thus you would need to apply

She would thus have to apply for ‘family of a settled person’ visa. You as her partner must have one of the following:

  • British citizenship
  • settlement in the UK
  • asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

She must also prove that:

  • she is 18 or over
  • her relationship to you is genuine and recognised in the UK, eg your marriage is legal in your country
  • she intends to continue living with you in the UK after she applies
  • she and you will have an adequate place to live in the UK
  • she has a good knowledge of English

Her application might be refused if, for example, she has

  • got a criminal record in the UK or in another country
  • provided false or incomplete information to the Home Office


She must prove that any previous relationships you or her had are permanently broken down.

She must also meet the financial requirement of:

  • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
  • £22,400 per year for you and one child
  • £2,400 per year for each additional child

Happy to discuss but please rate positive. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do I need to do to actually get married in the UK.Can my Chinese fincee marry me while in the UK under a tourist visa, or does it not matter? What do we need to do to allow her to marry me in the UK?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

I see. She must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa to come into the UK to get married. She can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. She should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. It costs £85 and would allow her into the UK for up to 6 months.

She much prove that she is:

  • 18 or over
  • free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival
  • in a genuine relationship
  • visiting the UK for less than 6 months
  • leaving the UK at the end of your visit
  • able to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that you can be supported and housed by relatives or friends
  • able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey
  • not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

There are the 2 steps to getting married in the UK.

  1. Give notice at your local registry office

  2. Have a religious ceremony or civil ceremony at least 28 days after giving notice. I hope that helps and makes sense. Please rate positive.

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Any further questions?