How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 33038
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my boyfriend want to get married but s visa has

Customer Question

Me and my boyfriend want to get married but his visa has already expired, can we still get married?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was born here in uk, lived here all my life and we have been together for 8 months but his visa expired in February 2015, please could you tell us what out entitlements are and what process we would have to go through and any requirements that may be necessary
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can help and please remember to rate positive. The good news is that there is no longer a requirement for a visa national to apply for a Certificate of approval from the UKBA so you can get married whether there is an expired visa or not. Therefore it is technically at the discretion of the individual superintendent registrar the registry office where you propose to marry. They will usually marry you regardless of the fact that your leave to remain has expired.

You will still have to go through the usual formalities of marriage. This means that you will have to prove your identities to the registrar, as well as your addresses. You will then have to give the appropriate notice of marriage up at the local registry office confirming that you shall marry. Once this has expired you will be free to marry. The caveat is that there is no guarantee that once married the Home Office resolve the visa issue. Sometimes it makes more sense to resolve this issue prior to actually getting married. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will he have to apply for a specific type of visa now that we intend to get married and he wants to reside here permanently?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

He would want to be applying to seek to remain in the UK with a family member. I can forward the form - please rate positive - thanks