How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently in uk, studying masters, my brother was the

Customer Question

hello, i am currently in uk, studying for my masters, my brother was the one that paid for my masters fees and he is also the one that gives my maintenance fee every month but of lately i was diagnosed of liver infection (hepatitis B). so based on this 2 reason my brother was thinking if can stay in uk with me because i will receive a better treatment than where i came from, moreover i had depending on him financially in which i have my bank statement as back. Do we have a case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

I am really sorry, but there is no available category for your brother to apply to come here to provide you wish support.

Obviously, under the Tier 4 rules he is not a “family member” in this sense because only your wife/child are able to apply.

There is no other visa which allows family members to come to the UK to care for people that are sick here. If family members from other countries are poorly then they can sometimes apply for an adult dependent relative visa in order to come here so that there relative who is settled (ie. has ILR) in the UK can care for them but unfortunately it does not work the other way around.

If he were to obtain a visit visa then he could come here for up to 6 months for a visit and obviously help you out but I would play down his caring for you as being the main reason for your visit.

It’s awful and you have my sympathies that I do not have better news for you

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,


Related UK Immigration Law Questions